Practice Areas: Family Law
Kara Olhiser has been practicing family law for more than 20 years and became a partner at Conner, Lawrence, Rodney, Olhiser & Barrett LLP in 2009. Her practice areas include divorce, legal separation, custody and visitation, spousal support, child support, property division, domestic violence issues, and restraining orders. Kara’s approach includes utilizing mediation, collaborative law, and traditional litigation. Kara also assists families as a parent coordinator.
Much like her partners, Kara is dedicated to helping families find the right solutions for their individual circumstances. Whether you’re new to the process or seeking to modify existing agreements, she’ll help you protect your interests, explore possible options, and find a settlement that works.
Kara received her degree from Santa Clara University school of Law in 1998, and she became an associate with our firm in 2001. She’s very active in the legal community and has served as the President of Sonoma County Women in Law, the Chair of the Sonoma County Family Law Committee, and as the Family Law Bar Representative on the Sonoma County Bar Association Board of Directors. Additionally, she’s the current liaison between Family Court Services and the Sonoma County Family Law Bar. She welcomes any opportunity to use her conflict resolution skills to achieve an ideal outcome. In addition to her skill/experience as an advocate, Kara believes it is important to handle each case with compassion, integrity and respect.
When she is not working, Kara loves spending time with her husband, two children, and her golden retriever. She also enjoys camping, running, and reading.
• 1995 U.C., San Diego, Revelle College, B.A., Psychology
• 1998 Santa Clara University School of Law, Juris Doctorate
• 1998 Licensed, State Bar of California, #199762
Employment and Professional Activities
• 2009 – Present Partner, Conner Lawrence & Rodney LLP
• 2000 – 2008 Associate Attorney, Conner Lawrence & Rodney LLP
• 1998 – 2000 Senior Associate Attorney, Hoover & Bechtel, LLP
• 2010 – Present, Liaison, Family Court Services and the Family Law Bar
• 2010 – Present Member, Mental Health Liaison Committee of the Sonoma County Bar Association Family Law Committee
• 2005 – 2015, Member, Collaborative Council of the Redwood Empire
• 2002 – 2004 Member, Family Law Committee of Sonoma County (2004 Chair)
• 2000 – Present Member, Sonoma County Bar Association
• 2000 – Present Member, Collaborative Law Section
• 2000 – Present Member, Sonoma County Women in Law (2001-2003, Board of Directors, 2003 President)
• 2000 – Present Member, Sonoma County Bar Association, Family Law Section
• To Marry or Not to Marry, That Is the Question: Legal Implications for Same-Sex Marriage,
Our clients highly recommend us. Read why below:
“Hi. My name is Stacy and I have been in the accounting field 15+ years. Kara represented me in a custody case that included relocation. She handled my case with confidence, intelligence, and compassion. She was always reassuring when I had concerns, which allowed me to respond with reason.
I was extremely pleased with the outcome of my case and happy to say my son and I are thrilled in our new location. I wouldn’t hesitate to have Kara represent me again!”